New Brunswick hospitals, courts and institutions make plans to reopen after province lifts emergency order

0


[ad_1]

HALIFAX –

For more than a year, some essential New Brunswick services have been closed to the general public to prevent outbreaks of COVID-19.

But with only 20 percent to go before New Brunswick reaches the threshold required to fully reopen, many of these facilities are working on how they will reopen.

Physical distancing was not possible for jury trials at the Fredericton Justice Building, so the Court of Queen’s Bench was moved last June to the city’s convention center.

He will stay there until the end of the year.

“We are now finalizing our post-FCC (Fredericton Convention Center) plan and will be able to provide more information in August,” said a spokesperson for the department.

A place that once welcomed tourists and visitors, the New Brunswick Legislature has not toured since the start of the pandemic. Although a specific date has not been set, staff are working to reopen to the general public soon.

“We are monitoring the situation, listening to public health advice, and hopefully, if all goes well in the coming weeks, open the Legislative Building to the public later this summer,” said Shayne Davies, City Clerk of the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick.

As of Thursday, visitors from outside the Atlantic bubble, including international travelers, can visit someone at a New Brunswick hospital.

They must have proof that they are fully vaccinated, tested negative for COVID-19, have been approved to travel to the province and have personal identification.

A spokesperson for Horizon Health said the network has been able to maintain normal surgical volumes, aside from the slowdown in March and April last year.

Although they have a surgical waiting list, it is comparable to the pre-pandemic years.

Pending Surgical Cases – Across the Horizon

  • As of March 31, 2021: 14,614
  • As of March 31, 2020: 17,134
  • As of April 1, 2019: 15,811

Going green could also mean the dissolution of the COVID cabinet all-party committee, which has seen all four political parties sit around the same table, making decisions related to the pandemic.

Liberal Leader Roger Melanson wonders if there will be a reason to continue after the emergency order is lifted.

“I was on this committee to work with Dr Russell and public health, not to support government but to work with public health to save lives,” he said.

As of Thursday, 80.1 percent of eligible New Brunswickers were receiving their first dose and over 55 percent were fully immunized.

[ad_2]

Share.

Comments are closed.